EAST GREENSBORO, N.C. (Sept. 22, 2022) – North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State College has introduced its latest cohort of Cheatham-White Scholarship recipients, representing among the highest-achieving college students amongst members of the category of 2026.
The 20 academically proficient first-year college students boast a median cumulative GPA of 4.45 and, on common, ranked within the high 5 to 10 p.c of their graduating highschool lessons. Fifteen hail from North Carolina, with the others from Maryland, Minnesota and Virginia. They signify six of the college’s tutorial schools: the School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, School of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Willie A. Deese School of Enterprise and Economics, School of Engineering, John R. and Kathy R. Hairston School of Well being and Human Sciences, and School of Science and Know-how.
“Cheatham-White Students distinguish themselves by means of their skills and their work, whether or not within the classroom or in the neighborhood,” stated Margaret I. Kanipes, Ph.D., N.C. A&T Honors Program director. “As Aggies, they are going to be challenged, enlightened and ready for continued success of their each endeavor as future leaders and innovators.”
“Our fifth cohort of Cheatham-White Students represents a unbroken dedication to tutorial excellence,” stated Interim Provost Tonya Smith-Jackson, Ph.D., govt vice chancellor for Tutorial Affairs. “We’re assured these college students will improve their expertise and develop their skills to realize each aim they’ve set for themselves, now and sooner or later.”
The Cheatham-White Scholarship, established in 2018, is called for Henry P. Cheatham and George H. White, two African Individuals who represented North Carolina in the USA Congress across the flip of the twentieth century. From troublesome beginnings – Cheatham was born enslaved, and White, the son of a mom whom historians say was additionally seemingly enslaved – every labored onerous to earn a college schooling earlier than launching careers in educating, regulation and in the end public service.
The scholarship is a completely funded four-year award that covers the prices of tuition, pupil charges, housing, meals, textbooks, a laptop computer laptop, provides, journey and private bills. It additionally supplies 4 summers of absolutely funded enrichment and networking alternatives which will embody worldwide journey and research. It’s a actually full award designed to acknowledge tutorial achievement and potential on the highest ranges.
This 12 months’s students are listed beneath in alphabetical order:
- Brandon Artis, son of Michael and Pamela Artis, is from Chester, Virginia, and a graduate of Lloyd C. Fowl Excessive College. He’s learning biology with a minor in animal science. After finishing his diploma in biology, he plans to attend medical college to change into an emergency drugs doctor.
- Future Baines, daughter of Correy and Lakisha Baines, is from Whitsett, North Carolina, and a graduate of Dudley Excessive College. She is learning bioengineering to acquire a Ph.D. in pharmacology and change into a licensed pharmacist in North Carolina. She wish to come again to her group and open a pharmacy in a deprived space.
- Iyona Barnes, daughter of Dwight Hinnant and Keshia Lilly, is from Baltimore and a graduate of Baltimore Metropolis School. She is learning nursing with a minor in psychology. Her final profession aim is to change into a journey nurse anesthetist to assist African American youngsters who could have much less entry to high quality well being care.
- Nahdia Benson, daughter of Derrick Benson and La Donna Bonneville, is from Raleigh, North Carolina, and a graduate of Thales Academy. She is learning mechanical engineering with a minor in laptop science. After commencement, she plans to earn a grasp’s diploma in mechanical engineering with a focus in robotics. Her profession aim is to be a robotics engineer, both in automation or protection.
- Kari Brown, daughter of Jay and Christina Brown, is from Clayton, North Carolina, and a graduate of Cleveland Excessive College. She is learning architectural engineering, with plans to work at an architectural agency whereas pursuing a grasp’s diploma in structure. Her aim is to be a licensed architect and someday open her personal architectural agency, serving as a task mannequin and advocate for minorities in structure.
- Joshua Clark, son of Raymond Clark and Cheryl Cobb, is from Knightdale, North Carolina, and a graduate of Enloe Excessive College and the North Carolina College of Science and Arithmetic. He’s learning agricultural and environmental programs with a minor in organic engineering. His profession aim is to enhance individuals’s lives utilizing botany by means of agriculture, pharmacology, sustainability, or another area, however ideally by means of a self-owned small enterprise.
- Bruce Davis III, son of Bruce and Tiana Davis, is from Raleigh and a graduate of Wake Younger Males’s Management Academy. He’s learning civil engineering with a minor in panorama structure. His profession aim is to start out his personal panorama structure agency that makes use of sustainable practices of engineering and structure to collaborate on initiatives domestically and throughout the nation.
- Myla Fowlkes, daughter of Christopher and Melissa Fowlkes, is from Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, and a graduate of Park Middle Worldwide Baccalaureate World College. She is learning bioengineering with plans to change into an mental property legal professional. This profession is extraordinarily necessary to her as a result of she may also help patent life-saving gadgets and defend the property of creators and inventors world wide.
- Warren Glover II, son of Warren and Keya Glover, is from Clemmons, North Carolina, and a graduate of Simon G. Atkins Excessive College. He’s learning mechanical engineering with a focus in aerospace. After commencement, he plans to enter the workforce as an aerospace engineer at NASA the place he can contribute to area exploration.
- Taylor Harding, daughter of Anthony and Abenah Harding, is from Morrisville, North Carolina, and a graduate of Analysis Triangle Excessive College. She is learning liberal research with a pre-law focus. Her aim is to personal a medical regulation agency specializing in defending and bringing justice to minorities and different marginalized teams discriminated in opposition to within the healthcare system.
- Kyle Hilliard, son of Kevin and Katrina Hilliard, is from Greensboro, North Carolina, and a graduate of the STEM Early School at N.C. A&T. He’s learning industrial and programs engineering with a minor in psychology. After the completion of his undergraduate diploma, he plans to attend graduate college.
- Myla Hudson, daughter of Mark and KaTrina Hudson, is from Charlotte, North Carolina, and a graduate of Mallard Creek Excessive College. She is learning biology with a minor in psychology. Her final profession aim entails working with organizations such because the U.S. Peace Corps as a global journey physician specializing in pediatric or oncology care.
- Jarrod Mason, son of Andre and Michele Mason, is from Cornelius, North Carolina, and a graduate of Merancas Center School at Central Piedmont Group School. He’s learning laptop science with a minor in finance. After graduating from school, he plans on pursuing a profession in cybersecurity as a cybersecurity analyst, significantly in banking, to mix his pursuits in laptop science and finance.
- Richard Obi, son of Martin and Chinyere Obi, is from Baltimore and a graduate of Chesapeake Excessive College STEM Academy. He’s learning nursing with a minor in enterprise. His profession aim is to be employed as a pediatric nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital. After a couple of years as a nurse, he intends to additional his research to change into a nurse practitioner.
- Samia Powell, daughter of Sammy Powell and Natasha Hannah, is from Durham, North Carolina, and a graduate of Hillside New Tech Excessive College. She is learning enterprise data expertise with a minor in finance. Her profession aim is to work in a STEM-related job, particularly in enterprise analytics, with plans to start out a clothes and embroidery enterprise in addition to a faith-based enterprise targeted on serving others and spreading the phrase of God.
- Nayla Seda, daughter of Jonas Welcher and Yvonda Seda, is from Garner, North Carolina, and a graduate of Sanderson Excessive College. She is learning architectural engineering with a minor in journalism. After graduating from school, she plans to pursue a profession in development and property administration.
- Jessica Solomon, daughter of Dr. Darley and Dana Solomon, is from Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and graduated from Atkins Tutorial and Know-how Excessive College. She is learning biology and plans to pursue a profession in analysis the place she will be able to uncover revolutionary options to medical questions and subjects.
- Jordan Speller, son of Travis and Nashima Speller, is from Durham and a graduate of Josephine Dobbs Clement Early School Excessive College. He’s learning biology with a minor in bioengineering. After finishing his diploma, he plans on attending medical college. His aim is to change into a heart specialist.
- Joshua Wilkins, son of Reginald and Natisha Wilkins, is from Charlotte and a graduate of Cato Center School Excessive College. He’s learning bioengineering with a minor in enterprise. His profession aim is to be a biomedical engineer. He needs to focus extra on creating prosthetics and instruments like pacemakers to assist save lives.
- Eryn Yarrell, daughter of Eric and Joan Yarrell, is from Alexandria, Virginia, and a graduate of Hayfield Secondary College. She is learning bioengineering with a minor in African-American historical past and Spanish. Her final aim is to pursue a grasp’s diploma in public well being with a focus in minority disparities after which attend medical college. Her finish aim is to change into both a reconstructive plastic surgeon or an obstetrician-gynecologist.